Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup

(this is not the actual picture of this soup, but close enough)

Here is a recipe for one of my favorite soups. Enjoy!

Chicken Tortilla Soup


3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 T. butter
2 T. flour
3 c. chicken broth
2 c. milk
1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1 c. fresh salsa (I usually blend up 1 can diced tomatoes, a handful of fresh cilantro, small can of green chilies in the blender till smooth-then I just add one cup of it (I season what's left with garlic salt for a fresh salsa to use with chips)-or just use store bought or another recipe)
1 (15 oz.) can creamed corn
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
4-5 small round corn tortilla shells broken in small pieces (thickens the soup)
2 tsp. cumin
Taco seasoning (shake in to taste)
2 T. cilantro, chopped (I don't put any more in if I used the salsa that has the cilantro in it)
1 large can chicken, drained and broken up in small pieces


Toppings:
Tortilla chips (optional)
Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
Sour cream (optional)


In a large pot over medium heat, saute the garlic and onion in the butter for 5 minutes. Add flour and stir well, cooking for 1 minute more. Add the broth and milk. Bring to a boil and reduce to heat to low.


Add the soup, salsa, corn, black beans, corn tortilla shells, cumin, taco seasoning, cilantro and chicken. Stir and continue to heat for 20 minutes. Pour into indivdual bowls and top each bowl with crumbled tortilla chips, cheese or sour cream if desired. (Also tastes great the next day!)

3 comments:

Brooke and Mike said...

Looks yummy thanks for sharing!

Larisa said...

Yummy, thanks for sharing. I am making it for enrichment tonight, can't wait to eat it!

Amber and Ryan said...

Me and Ryan's soup actually turned out pretty good. I didn't end up adding the cream of soup; instead I added a water/flour mixture to thicken it. I am going to try this recipe next time. Thanks for sharing.